Eating Healthy On The Course
By Lisa Holtan
The golf season is in full swing. You get to the course early to do your warm-ups, you stretch after your game and in between playing golf you are increasing your strength with exercises. Improving your golf game is not just about fitness it also involves healthy eating. Today’s article will give you some tips for how to eat healthy while on the course.
Eating healthy has a lot of benefits besides helping you become a better golfer. It reduces your risk of many diseases including diabetes, heart disease, and Alzheimer’s (research has shown eating healthy and being active can reduce your risk of developing Alzheimer’s).
So, here are 5 easy tips you can implement to help you make healthier nutrition choices out at the golf course.
1. Pack your own healthy snacks in your golf bag. Foods like protein bars, trail mix and nuts all pack easily and don’t melt.
2. Stay hydrated; it’s get hot on the golf course. Make sure you are drinking enough water and drink a glass of water as well in between each alcoholic beverage.
3. Make healthier choices when the beverage cart arrives. Choose jerky or a cheese stick over a candy bar
4. When you are in the clubhouse restaurant choose items with protein in them. Protein will fill you up and keep you feeling full for a longer period of time then simple carbohydrates. Example: chicken wrap or steak salad.
5. Watch your portion sizes since many restaurants serve too big of portion sizes. Ask for ½ of your food in a to-go box and save it for the next day or share with your riding partner.
If these tips seem too overwhelming, just pick 1 or 2 to implement and in 4 weeks choose another tip to try. By the end of the golf season you will have implemented them all and you will be amazed at your progress towards a healthier you.